Uric acid is a by-product of the breakdown of purines and a normal component of our urine. However, when there’s a high level of purines in the blood the levels of this acid will increase, resulting in the development of gout and other serious conditions. Gout is a painful inflammatory condition which usually affects the elderly and causes symptoms such as stiffness, swelling and pain in the joints.
Gout commonly affects the knees, shoulders, elbows and ankles and is difficult to treat. Painkillers have too many adverse side-effects to be considered a real solution, so the only way left to treat the problem are natural remedies. Luckily, there’s more than one that can help.
In general, gout is caused by obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, alcohol abuse, psoriasis and leukemia, although there are other factors which can also cause it. The condition occurs due to the presence of uric acid crystals in the joints. The crystals are formed due to a high level of purines in the blood over a prolonged period, which is most often a result of a poor diet. In order to prevent the formation of the crystals, you should drink plenty of water and immediately change your diet and lifestyle. Make sure to eat alkaline healthy foods and stay away from junk and processed food as well. If you need further assistance, here are a few natural remedies which can also help:
- Chop ½ an onion and boil it in 1 liter of water, leaving the mixture to cool down for 5 minutes before straining it. Add some honey and drink the mixture 3 times per day to reduce the levels of uric acid in your joints;
- Squeeze one ripe tomato and drink the juice thrice a day to prevent the development of gout;
- Chop ½ an onion, 50 gr. of cabbage and 3 parsley sprigs, then add them to a cup of boiling water. Cook the mixture for 15 minutes before leaving it to cool down and straining it. Add a bit of lemon juice afterwards and drink the mixture preferably before lunch;
- Mix 3 tablespoons of rosemary and soybean oil each then massage the mixture on the painful area;
- Mix 30 gr. strawberries, 1 mango, 4 carrots and a pineapple slice in a juicer, then drink the smoothie every morning on an empty stomach to eliminate the pain in your joints;
- Boil 1 corn cob in a glass of water for about 10-15 minutes, then drink the liquid 3 times a day to prevent the formation of uric acid crystals;
- Put a handful of elderflowers in 500 ml. of water and boil the mixture, then leave the mixture to cool down and strain it. Drink it with a bit of honey 2-3 times per day for best results;
- Boil 30 gr. of cranberries in a liter of water for 5 minutes, then strain and drink the liquid several times a day to soothe the pain.
Here’s another natural remedy which can help:
- 2 celery stalks
- A teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 lemon slice
- A medium-sized cucumber
Slice up the celery and cucumber first, then add everything in a blender and mix until you get a fine consistency. Drink the mixture every day to prevent the formation of the crystals and reduce the pain in your joints. For best results, we recommend drinking 1-3 glasses of it per day. Additionally, you’ll also need to eat a healthy diet in order to defeat gout.